NOTABLE ENGAGEMENTS: Leading the Way
During recent years, the specialist Corporate, Transactional and M&A Department of ACCORD CHAMBERS has played a leading role in the consummation of significant transactions and projects including few projects having national importance and that are truly first of its kind for the country. We can therefore boldly claim that very few law firms in Bangladesh have actually been involved in so many large-scale construction and infrastructure projects, numerous foreign investment facilitation and M&A transactions to the scale that matches that of ACCORD CHAMBERS.
The Admiralty & Dispute Resolution Department of ACCORD CHAMBERS has acted as legal counsels in several major domestic litigations as well as local and international arbitrations during the 2019-2020 period. We have successfully represented a French corporation in an international construction arbitration before the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Singapore. This year alone, we have acted as legal counsels for local businesses in three separate international commercial arbitrations before GAFTA, London. Accord Chambers continues to represent clients based in Singapore, Switzerland, UAE and Malaysia in shipping matters, commercial disputes and contentious admiralty suits.
The following section outlines some of the notable engagements of ACCORD CHAMBERS during 2019-2021. The list is, however, non-exhaustive.
Petroleum, Petrochemical, Power & Energy Projects
- Advising Bangladesh’s largest private oil and gas company for the construction of a total of US$ 2 billion petrochemical complex plant. Accord Chambers is advancing complete legal and advisory services for the project and advised on the project structuring, obtaining regulatory permissions for the project and acquisition of project land. The firm is currently carrying out negotiation and drafting of complete project documentation and advising on project financing and debt & equity structuring for the first phase. Further undertaking due diligence for the second phase.
- Successfully advised in the construction of Bangladesh’s first private sector bitumen plant which is also the country’s largest. The US$ 200 million bitumen plant extends over 63 acres of land having an annual production capacity of 900,000 tons. Accord Chambers acted as the principal law firm for the entire project starting with legal due diligence of the project and project assets, ensuring legal and regulatory compliance all the way to the project completion.
- Acting as the principal legal counsel for one of Bangladesh’s largest private sector investments for the construction of a US$ 1.25 billion mega-oil refinery project, including the construction of hydro-skimmer process units and the construction of tank farm units. The first of its kind mega-oil refinery project is also the subject matter of the largest syndicated loan arrangement in the banking sector of the country involving 24 public and private banks.
- Partaking in the negotiation and legal due diligence for investment, financing and construction of 215 MW HFO Based Power Plant in Bangladesh.
- Currently engaged with due diligence and advisory supports for multiple independent power projects (IPP) and advising foreign investors on project land acquisition & regulatory compliance.
- Advising a Chinese state-owned company on the legal and regulatory framework of investments in the petroleum and petrochemical sector of Bangladesh and prepared a market-entry report.
- Drafted contract for procurement, supply and installation of prefabricated vertical drain (PVD) for soft soil improvement for construction of a petrochemical complex plant in Sitakundu, Bangladesh.
- Negotiated and drafted contract for procurement, supply of capital machinery and construction of a chemical plant for manufacturing methanol, acetic acid, hydrogen peroxide.
Domestic & International Arbitrations
- Successfully represented French contractors as lead counsels in international arbitration arising out of a construction dispute before the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce, seated in Singapore. The dispute arose in connection with the construction of Bangladesh’s first floating LNG terminal.
- Successfully defended Bangladeshi conglomerates against claims of an international commodities supplier in three separate international arbitrations before the Grain and Feed Trade Association (GAFTA), London arising out of commercial and maritime disputes.
- Successfully facilitated an out-of-court settlement on behalf of a middle-eastern bunker supplier in connection to a dispute which culminated in arbitration proceedings before the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA), London.
- Currently representing a Bangladeshi hospital and healthcare company in an arbitration proceeding arising out of a construction dispute pertaining to the construction of hospital and healthcare facilities.
- Representing a Bangladeshi dredging company in an arbitration matter arising out of a river dredging project of the Bangladesh government.
- Representing a real estate company in an arbitration matter arising out of a building construction dispute with landowners.
- Currently representing the Australian branch of a global commodities supplier in the enforcement of foreign arbitration awards against Bangladeshi companies arising out of a commercial dispute.
- Representing a contractor in an arbitration arising out of a dispute for the construction of the Edible Oil Industry by a quasi-government organization.
- Representing a European company against Bangladeshi contractors for the enforcement of a foreign arbitration award.
- Successfully represented governmental organizations in arbitration arising from US$ 3 million construction contract.
- Represented private corporations in arbitrations at the Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission (BERC) concerning energy disputes for the supply of gas and natural resources.
Labour & Employment law matters
- Represented a multinational tobacco company in litigations before the Labour Court.
- Drafted employee manual, employment terms and conditions and appointment letter for a French multi-national construction contractor.
- Advised a USAID chief of party on employee separation and settlement packages for Bangladesh.
- Advised leading MNCs with employee separation and voluntary separation schemes.
- Advised employees of the country’s No. 1 Telecom Company in a writ petition involving workers’ participation fund of BDT 450 crores, equivalent to US$ 56.25 million.
- Drafted Employee Handbook for Bangladeshi subsidiary of a multi-national real estate company.
- Representing a multi-national company with litigations arising out of dismissal and termination of its employees.
- Frequently advising foreign corporations on non-contentious employment law matters including drafting standard employment contracts and appointment letters as well as providing employee separation services.
- Conducted capacity building workshops for HR and Legal Departments of MNC.
- Advising a Bangladeshi airline on the sale of their existing fleets and procuring new fleets.
- Advising a Bangladeshi airline on negotiation and settlement with foreign airports authority.
- Our lawyers have advised and assisted leading middle-eastern airlines on a wide range of regulatory issues, including the extension of Branch Office permission, exemption from restrictions on repatriation, change in Board, income tax exemptions etc., and also to correspond with public authorities of Bangladesh on its behalf.
- Our counsels have also represented major airlines in multiple litigations pertaining to foreign exchange regulations, remittance and repatriation of revenues, flight operations and disputes arising in connection with its Dhaka Branch Office.
- Advising publicly-listed airlines company on security laws and communications with Bangladesh Securities & Exchange Commission (BSEC)